Friday, June 19, 2015

Lots of Finishes

The girls were gone (and we ate leftovers all week) and I was super productive even though I either went in to work or worked at home most days!!  I had a short mental list of 3 major things I wanted to finish in that time and I got that done!!  I also got a bonus project done!!

#1 was a non-sewing project   A few years ago I finished hand quilting a family heirloom quilt for my team teacher.  As a thank you she offered to make me a photo album but I had to pick the photos. I thought if I just got out the box of photos from the time we first moved to Russia until College R was born that would be a nice finite amount to work with.  Took me more than 3 years to actually get out the box and then I realized she would never be able to sort and cull and crop the photos.  That took me over 6 months in bits of time usually when Señor G was out of town and I could make a big mess.  I was so close to the end and I did it!!  That project is out of my hands and I am very thankful. 
The initial sort.  When I realized I might be in over my head!

#2 finish quilting an unexpected quilt  that was halfway quilted.  Done.  Once the photos were off the floor I could get to the sewing machine.  Binding is cut, pressed and ready to go

#3 get a baby quilt for the new nephew to be at least to the flimsy stage. Once the inspiration hit it didn't take any time at all.  I also got a backing pieced and ready - all from stash. 
Bear Paws Flimsy
I had to do a lot of piecing to get enough claws.
Can you spot the pieced claws?





















BONUS   -  get the borders on the project I pulled out of my MILs scrap bag last summer.  The fabric had already been set aside and there was enough for the backing as well.  This quilt is very pretty but really has no special meaning.  It was a few odd pieces found in a bag that was given to my MIL and I was curious to see how far I could take it.  Señor G is a free lance interpreter and recently has been working with the family of a little girl undergoing cancer treatment.  Her name is the same and her birthday very very close to our Little S.  I really felt like I needed to give her this quilt.  As soon as I get the thread tails worked in it will go to the other Little S. 
I tried to quilt some little flowers in among the stipple.

Linking up with  Crazy Mom Quilts   and Confessions of a fabric addict  to show off finishes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!