Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Tasty Tuesday - Chicken Schnitzel

Middle E requested chicken which I had in the freezer.  Nice plump boneless breasts from the "healthy" grocery store in town.  I was determined to use a recipe I had on hand but had not tried and not google up something else new.  This recipe is from Family Circle magazine March 2012.  It is originally for turkey, but it worked just fine with chicken.

I remember when we lived in Latvia there was a little kiosk in the park in Jelgava that sold Schnitzel some nights.  It was good and way easier than me struggling to cook with the few ingredients we had.  Latvia was still under communist control and had ration coupons for most of the basics.  We made do, which we are still do decades later!!
The other 2 cutlets were snatched before I could snap a picture!

Turkey Schnitzel with Creamy Dill Sauce

1/4 c all purpose flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 c cracker meal or unseasoned bread crumbs
1 t paprika
3/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1 lb thinly sliced turkey cutlets (I sliced my plump chicken breasts long ways while they were still partially

            frozen and ended up with 4 nice-sized  cutlets)
3 T vegetable oil
1/2 c reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 c reduced fat sour cream
1 t fresh dill


1) Place flour in shallow dish and eggs in second dish.  In a third dish, whisk together cracker meal, paprika, 1/4 t salt and pepper.

2) Season turkey with 1/4 t of the salt and coat with flour, shaking off excess.  Dip in egg and coat with cracker meal mixture.

3) Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.  Add turkey and cook 3 minutes on each side, in batches if needed.  Remove to a plate and keep warm.

4) Add chicken broth to skillet and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan.  Reduce heat to low and still in sour cream, dill and remaining 1/4 t salt.  Stir until smooth and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.

5) To serve, spoon some of the sauce over the turkey and serve with lemon wedges, green beans and cooked noodles, if desired.


Results:  It was easy.  The family loved it.  There were no leftovers.  Little S wants it for her birthday dinner next week.  So I figured I should add it to my collection of family favorite recipes collected here for my girls.  With Grown Up R out on her own now I realized I need to do better about documenting recipes for her.  She recently asked about the Onion Casserole which I blogged about early on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!