Friday, August 17, 2018

Thankful Thursday

When I started my summer sewing class at the library it was an experiment of sorts with a lot of unknowns.  First of all - would anyone come?  Then - would I enjoy teaching sewing?   Could I come up with appropriate projects?  Lastly - where do I go from here?

Would anyone come?  Yes, they came!! I had the young girl who started it all because she wants to become a designer and needs to learn to sew.  Her mother came along for the ride.  My Little S was a captive participant, but with a good attitude. Then we got a library volunteer who saw us sewing and dropped everything to join us.  After the pajama pants party we got another young girl.  Plus, the library ladies stopped by as they were able to see what we were doing and ask questions.  Then the library asked me to teach a monthly class that they would promote.
Pillowcases
Did I enjoy teaching sewing?  Without a doubt!!  I am a teacher.  I come from a long, long line of teachers on both sides and I love teaching.  This was different than teaching academics and there were no discipline problems since everyone wanted to be there.  But teaching is breaking things down into understandable manageable steps and I can do that with any subject you throw at me.

Could I come up with appropriate projects?  With a bit of research and creativity, yes!!  We made a travel tissue cover, a pillowcase, a reversible fabric bin, and a tote bag with pockets and handles.  All straight lines.  All finished in 2 hours or less.
Reversible Fabric Bins
Where do I go from here?  Teach sewing as a business.  Grown Up R is putting her natural skills and her college degree to use helping me set up a sewing business.  Since I am in the middle of a job search this makes sense for me. This time next week everything should be ready to go.  I am excited with a little nervous thrown in there for good measure.
Tote Bag with Pockets
So today I am thankful for my daughter for her unwavering support, my students who were willing to be my guinea pigs at the library, and my friend who only sees the possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!