Thursday, February 18, 2016

A Mending Job I Didn't Mind

There are people who know that I sew.  Every now and then they ask me to do an odd mending job. A lot of jobs are icky and I take only for the income.  Sometimes they are good like sewing patches on an army uniform and Boy Scout uniform - two thumbs up!  (Disclaimer: I do say "no" if I can't do it or really don't want to.)

This latest request made me feel different. It was more joy than job.  Older brother had the sports jacket with the high school letters.  Younger brother gets it next but it got a giant ink stain on the letter.  Mom tried her best but in trying to get the stain out ruined one of the letters and the stain is still there. 
Sounded like something that would have happened to me as a kid and certainly to my kids.  Hand-me-downs are a way of life in my family.  I grew up that way and my girls have as well.  So my heart went out to the younger brother.   

He had a Varsity Letter he had earned and it turns out it was just the right size to replace the stained letters.  The way the original had been sewn on made it easy to unsew.  The perfect project for one night after work with my feet up.
Then position the new patch and zigzag stitch it down.  I was afraid It might be too thick since it was thicker than the original and was actually being sewn over an inside jacket pocket, but I went slowly and It came out just fine.  I went around the white first and then the black with a slightly narrower zigzag.
 Perfect. You would never know it was not intended to be this way.  The only thing I am unsure of is how to wash it. His mom will have to figure that out. 

One job that I was happy to do!  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!