Friday, August 22, 2014

Rail Fence Finish

I haven't sewn in over a month probably. I might be going into withdrawal!!  Every summer I want to catch up on the girls' photo albums - I'm only 20 years behind!  This was the summer that I was at least able to make progress.  But that meant re-purposing the sewing room. I have been thinking of it as working in paper instead of fabric. Combining colors, cutting carefully, making sure it is all lined up correctly!

But I just had to get in a sewing fix. This was super fast. The strips were already cut thanks to the quilt guild.  There was a lecture on working with strips and bags made up to take home and try.  Little S thought she would make this one but there has just been too much going on.
Orange Windmills and Blue Windmills
I had already sewed the strips together randomly. So in a rare alone moment yesterday I cut them in squares, laid them out and webbed them together. All together including sewing the strips maybe 2 hours. What's my excuse for not getting more done more often?

There was extra of the orange strips so I used that for a simple border. After it was sewn on I found 12 blocks that had been left behind when I laid it out.  What to do?  It was destined for hospice and was on the small side so I went ahead and un-sewed one border and added the extra blocks. That brought it up to the recommended size.

College Girl R was home for a week. A very nice surprise!! When we took her back to school I missed the guild meeting to turn the rail fence top in, but at least it is finished.

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts  and Confessions of a Fabric Addict  to show off finishes.  I have missed being part of the Friday Finishes for the past weeks.  Glad to be back.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!