Sunday, October 15, 2017

Pellet Pouches

I'm working on a weighted blanket for my father.  He lives in a memory care facility and wakes at night and gets up on his own and falls - a lot.  I knew about weighted blankets and "logs" for children and we even use them in my preschool.  But I recently learned that a weighted blanket can also help adults with insomnia and other issues that my father deals with.

It seems like it is worth a try.  I am using this tutorial from Sarah over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.  I'm making mine bigger so it will cover an adult body, but the basics are the same.  I started by making 100 "pellet pouches".

Little S sewed the first sides.  She offered and actually enjoyed it.  Wow!  What a huge help that was for me.  The last few weeks have been pretty hectic and as much as I wanted this project to be on the front burner it just wasn't.  So getting the pellet pouches done was a good step.  I've got the math done on the rest of the blanket so I should be able to move along on it now.
100 Pellet Pouches !!

I used assorted odds and ends of fabrics that I was pretty sure I would not use for anything else to make the 5" x 5" pouches. 


Fabric Purchased This Week: 0 yards
Fabric Purchased YTD: 51.17 yards


Fabric Acquired This Week:   0
Fabric Acquired YTD: 18.98 yards

Fabric Used This Week:  1.53 yards for 100 pellet pouches
Fabric Used YTD: 88.86 yards

Fabric Stashed in 2017: 18.71 yards used



Staying accountable with quiltpaintcreate.

4 comments:

  1. Anything that might work is worth a try. My mom did the same thing at night. She would forget about the call button and want to use the bathroom. I hope it works for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully it will help reduce the falls. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this type of quilt/cover, but hope it works. It looks like an adult eye spy with all the bright fun fabrics used. Good numbers for the year too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I'd know about this last year before Mom had so many falls.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!