Sunday, November 30, 2014

Stash Report 113014

Operation Christmas Child Kits

I was happy to see that one of the suggested items to include in the Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes this year was fabric squares and sewing kits. 

I've been working my way through my messy room and through my mother's stash.  It is time to get more organized.   As I sorted and ironed and folded I picked out some that coordinated pretty well and cut as many squares as I could.  Most were 5" or 6". 

One set was 4" because it was easier to cut out the squares from a poorly made panel (acquired a long time ago in a yard sale scrap bag purchase) than unsew the tiny stitches. The time savings more than made up for the little bit of waste fabric.  The larger scraps were still with the panel so I ended up with a good amount of squares even though they were smaller.  It was super pretty and I briefly considered sewing it up myself for a guild quilt for hospice, but then common sense took over and the little voice said "no more new projects!"

For each kit I included a larger piece that could be used for backing, 3 spools of thread, scissors, pins and needles.  It seems like it made a huge dent in the odd accumulation of stuff I have, but I really can't even tell. 

So even though I didn't sew anything I do have a good amount of fabric out. Wish I had thought to take pictures.  It was the most orderly thing I have done in a while. 

I put together 11 kits for a whopping  27.41 yards out +  33 spools of thread + 11 pairs of my mother's scissors and assorted accessories.  Surely I should be able to find a flat surface to work on now!

Fabric Used This Week: 27.41 yards for Operation Christmas Child kits  
Total Used 2014: 91.74 yards
Fabric In This Week: 0 yards 
Total Bought/Received in 2014: 16.08 yards
Net Used 2014: 75.66 yards

I had really hoped to use 100 yards this year and I'm pretty sure I will get there.  I have a few things in the works that if finished should put me over the top.

Head on over to Patchwork Times to see how others are doing with their stash.

2 comments:

  1. What a great organization. Wish there was a location in Nashville. It would be fun to make these boxes with my granddaughters. I am sending the link to my friend who lives
    near Denver. Thanks for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat thing to do with the added bonus of getting rid of some clutter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!