Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Tasty Tuesday - Strawberry Jam

I usually make strawberry jam in the Spring when the prices are way down.  I make enough for us and for gifts for the girls' teachers.  Last year I didn't because I was overwhelmed at work.  This year I didn't because the price never really went down.  Senor G will only eat my homemade strawberry jam, so when he ran out of homemade a few months ago reality hit.
Reality was that he had to make do or do without.  He chose to do without.  My schedule was not conducive to making jam no matter what the price of strawberries.  Well, this weekend strawberries were at a historical low in our area.  They were pretty large, so there was more white than I would have preferred, but once they get blended up all is well.

New label, same recipe.
I got enough for 2 batches of jam and extras for eating and smoothies.  College E helped me prep the first round of strawberries and that was a huge help.  The plan was already leftovers for dinner, so I got jam started when I usually start dinner. 
"A watched pot never boils!"
It took me 2 books and 1 handwritten note to figure out what recipe I have used in the past.  Turns out the recipe on the label of the pectin is the one that works best for me.  The only change I made was putting the strawberries through the food processor rather than using a potato masher.  I remember using a potato masher years ago and that did not work at all.  Not sure how it possibly could given that a potato is soft after cooking and strawberries are very firm. 
Done at last!
After 3 hours and plenty of sweat (this is not a good season for canning) I ended up with 5 pints jars and 5 half pint jars of fresh homemade strawberry jam!! There was also about 1/2 cup that didn't fit in a jar so it went into a custard cup for immediate eating.  Senor G "licked" the pan and spoons and was very happy. 

For about 10 seconds I thought about getting more strawberries and making another double batch, but then I came to my senses!!

Strawberry Jam
5 1/2 - 6 c mashed strawberries
4 T lemon juice
1 T butter (optional to prevent foaming)
6 T pectin
4 c sugar

Cook the strawberries, butter, lemon juice, and pectin to a rolling boil that can't be stirred down.

Add sugar and return to rolling boil.

Stir constantly for 1 more minute.

Fill sterilized jars and process in boiling water bath.

Yield: 7-8 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!