Saturday, June 1, 2019

Improvisational Sewing

I had planned do make the 8-pointed stars as Leaders & Enders from my scrap and precut drawers.  Well, the scrap and precut part worked out, but the L&E part didn't.  I was so eager to sew something for fun that I just dove right in.

Testing ideas
I worked with what I had on hand and my layout was whatever spoke to me at the moment that I needed a next step.  So far, I am very pleased.  My goal is about 36" square to donate.

I like it.  What's next?
Sarah, over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, just finished up her Hands 2 Help quilt challenge.  I was not able to participate this year due to my work schedule, but I did follow along.  I was drawn to the Jack's Basket, which gives a basket with a quilt and goodies to babies with Down syndrome when they leave the hospital.  They ask for 36" quilts.  So I thought that when I do random sewing this summer I will aim for 36" and send them off to Jack's Basket.  Better late than never, right?
Maybe a bit more black?
I have enough large quilts that are languishing unfinished and with temperatures in the high 90s no one needs a quilt right now so I don't need to set myself up to start anymore UFOs.  If I want to try a new design I will, but not full size.  36" is the perfect size for the perfect cause.
I like where this is headed!
So....  I'm thinking my next round on this little gem will be another white border and then a border of alternating black and bright squares.  Time to go dig into the 2" precut squares.  I'm telling you - already having precut squares, triangles and strips in the Scrap User System from Bonnie Hunter is such a time saver.  I just pull what I need and sew.  No delay while I agonize over color choices, audition fabrics, and then cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!