Sunday, November 27, 2016

My Favorite Little Thrift Store

I'm still playing catch up so it's old news on the in side and new news on the out side.

Fabric In  - Stopped by my favorite thrift store a few weeks ago looking for furniture for Grown Up R's new apartment.  We had been told that on Wednesdays everything was half off.  That was not the case but I got a good deal anyways.

4 blue & black checked panels.  $1.00. They had been hemmed with iron on tape so they were easy to undo.  I love how the check goes with the puppy fabric for my Happy Blocks.  I think this is my new favorite fabric.  

1 yard purple batik.  $0.50 !!!  I keep thinking I need to get out the boxy stars I was working on in purples and pinks and try again.  This gives me more variety which is why the project got put aside. 

1 FQ  light blue.  $0.50  I don't have anything in mind and it looks like it would play nice almost anywhere.  

2.81 yds for $2.00.  I'd be crazy not to buy it at that price.

Fabric Out - Soon after Grown Up R came back home I found 2 stools in a neighbor's trash pile.  They were nice and even swiveled.  But one had a stain on the seat.  Of course I picked them up and then stored them at my sister's since she has more space than we do.  Somehow during Hurricane Matthew the stained chair got even worse.

Fast forward a few months and Grown Up R now has her own apartment and it has a kitchen with a pass through window/counter that is the right height for the stools.  So she picked fabric and I offered to recover the stools.  Actually I took the old cushions apart and then taught her how to recover.  They came out great.  The best part is that we covered the foam with a fabric lining from my stash before covering them nicely in her good fabric.  0.67 yards out!!!

More fabric out - quilted and bound the Happy Quilt  3.1 yards of the red I got a while back at my favorite thrift store.  It was perfect for this quilt.  I used a variegated threads of bright colors on the top and solid red on the bottom.  3.1 yards out!!

Fabric Used/Out This Week: 3.77 yards
Fabric Used/Out in 2016: 62.9 yards


Fabric In This Week:  2.81 yards
Fabric In 2016: 77.3 yards
 

Net Used 2016: 14.4 yards stashed 

The gap is getting smaller.  A zero balance is actually within reach if I have a few more finishes and no more additions.  What I really want to do it go back and look at how much I actually spent for the fabric that I added this year.  Yes, it is way more fabric than I have ever acquired before, but I think my total spending per yard is still pretty close to my almost zero budget for fabric.

Staying accountable with Judy over at Patchwork Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!