Friday, November 25, 2016

Happy Quilt is Finished

As my father tells Middle E about swimming - "Get it on your mind!"  I was determined to get this quilt done before Thanksgiving and I did!   Now that swim season is over there is more time and that helps a lot.


We used to make this block in Guatemala when I taught the high school girls to sew.  It was easy and fun.  I have no idea where I saw it originally, but it was called the Happy Block.  The girls called it El Cuadro Feliz.  So this is the Happy Quilt.

I love the bright colors.  It is a Happy Quilt.  My sister stopped by and saw it after the binding was attached, but not sewn down, which I always think is a strange stage to see a quilt if you are not a quilter.  She had asked for a baby quilt for a friend.  Well, when she saw it she liked it so much she thought the big brother should have a quilt too.  I just happened to have on hand another baby quilt top.  I had made it for my nephew before I knew what the "correct" theme was.  It had been waiting for just the right little boy.  Turns out many of the fabrics in the Happy Quilt are also in the smaller baby quilt.  So the final decision was that the Happy Quilt would go to the big brother since it is larger and actually has an I Spy quality to it and I will finish the smaller quilt for the new baby.  Works for me.  Lots of stash fabric heading out.

So my new goal is to get the smaller baby quilt quilted this weekend and maybe even bound and done.  On Saturday I will go pick up the jeans for another commission quilt so the pressure is on.  Everyone wants everything by Christmas.  Hmmmm

Linking up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict  to show off finishes.

5 comments:

  1. That is a great HAPPY Quilt. It makes me happy looking at it. I think baby quilts should be bright and loud. You are really cutting it close with taking a commission quilt with jeans to have done before Christmas. I don't know how you do it. I have 6 in house to do, but they are mostly small and I just have to quilt them. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun, bright little quilt! I think it's great that you already had a coordinating top ready to go for the baby. The two together will make such a nice gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this quilt - such a great stash buster! My grandbabies would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Happy Block" is from maryquilts.com. Mary Johnson's Heartstrings Project. Your quilt is beautiful and I'm sure the new baby and big brother will appreciate them.

    http://www.maryquilts.com/happy-blocks-for-heartstrings/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for giving proper credit to the Happy Block.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!