Saturday, September 19, 2026

A Welcome Change

I totally avoided the Baby Blocks quilt this week and it was a glorious feeling to just handle fabric and sew wherever the whim took me.  I am a "make it up as I go along" person and it turns out that's a real thing.  Having to be so careful and precise on fitting in each round of the baby blocks is just not me.  I will get it done, but after a break.

First, I got caught up on the RSC crayons.  Quick, easy, and fun.
All Caught Up!

The next closest project at hand was the random Christmas blocks that were made at least 20 years ago in Guatemala.  The original pattern was for a twin/full size quilt that was all various Christmas themed blocks.  Our sewing group learned several of the blocks and then moved on to another project, so it got set aside.  

Rediscovered Christmas Blocks

I don't have any desire to finish this as originally intended, nor do I have the pattern.  The candy cane blocks are pot holder size, and for as long as they have been up on the design wall I have been thinking pot holders for my daughters as a remembrance of Guatemala.  I emptied my little drawer of Christmas scraps to see about backings and that led to sorting, pressing, and trimming to usable sizes.  That was a good task for several zoom meetings this week.

Glorious Mess

That led me to be more creative with my potholders.  Some of these scraps worked perfectly to add a bit of size and make them more interesting.  I even unsewed the red angel block and used it to frame up a pair of candy canes.  With two blocks done-ish and one ready to sew, I am liking this change of plans.  We'll see where it ends.

Making Changes. Where will it end?

2026 15 Minutes to Stitch

15 minute days this week = 7/7
15 minute days/Sept = 17/19
15 minute days/2026 = 199/260
Success Rate 2026 = 77%

Still creeping ahead slowly.
  
2026 Stash Totals
Used last week: 0 yards
Used year to date: 43.79 yards
Acquired recently: 0 yards  
Acquired year to date: 35 yards
Stash movement for 2026: 1.14 more yards acquired than used

Linking up to:
Kate at   
Donna at   
Frederique at quiltingpatch
Angela at soscrappy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!