Monday, March 20, 2017

Emergency Quilt

Not what I planned for the design wall today but good.
Not quite this loud in real life.

Señor G is going to Guatemala on Wednesday and on Saturday afternoon asked if I had a baby quilt to give a long time friend of ours there who had a baby.  

On Saturday the details were : No idea how old or the gender.  So I pulled some fabrics quickly and cut 6" squares and got mostly finished with a boy top.  
Quick baby boy top
Then on Sunday the details were: girl,  5 months old.  So I set aside the boy top and checked what might be already started that could be pulled together quickly. 

On top of the urgency was also the fact that on Saturday we were all up very early and out of town most of the day for a college open house and scholarship interview for Middle E.  Then on Sunday I was up early to go pick her up and bring her back home.  So I was tired and not running at full speed.  Very thankful it was only 2 hours away and not 8 hours like Grown Up R's college.  
So proud of you, E!
I debated just buying a gift. Then I took a nap and woke up motivated to USE THE STASH!  

So I poked around more and found a forgotten UFO that originally was a kids quilt kit my niece had started.  My girls had worked on it a bit as well.  Then it got set aside.  Then we got another identical kit from the other niece.  Fortunately they ended up stored together.  The colors were bright and cute.

The completed section was too small to become a baby quilt unless I added lots and lots of borders.  But I couldn't work out the unsewn pieces to enlarge the sewn section because of limits of certain colors.  So I unsewed parts of the sewn section and redesigned the layout.  No before and after pictures unfortunately.

I was able to use one of the borders that came with the kits with minimal piecing.  Then I added a cute pink Winnie the Pooh fabric from my stash as an outer border.  I was cutting it very close on that, but I was successful with a sliver to spare. Whew. 

So by bedtime Sunday  it was a  top.  It is about 40" x 40".   I usually prefer my baby quilts to be larger but under the circumstances I am pleased.  Today is the last day of Spring Break and my goal is to get this quilted and bound today.  I think I can.  I think I can.

The backing is also from the stash - a pretty floral that was given to me last year.  This is where the smaller size is advantageous.  I won't have to piece the backing.

Linking up to Patchwork Times and Em's Scrapbag to share what we are working on.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't it just feel so good to get a quilt out of your stash? Congratulations. I hope you get a picture to add to your blog before you send it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had something in your stash for the baby quilt. Bet it was cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!